By Aremu Segun Kuti Ask
Nigeria and indeed Ogbomosoland has lost an ICON.
Dr. Nelson Olalekan Magbagbeola, the news of your exit came to all of us as a total rude shock that we are yet to recover from. I got a message from one of your friends early morning of Thursday 8th January, 2021, sending me a condolence and sympathy on your demise. I told him it was not possible and should allow me make contacts. Immediately I called a colleague of yours who is equally a former classmate and who corroborated the sad news.
Egbon LekkyBrown as you’re fondly called you were such a very good man with a pure and sincere heart. You were down to earth, peace-loving, caring, gentle to the core, neat, intelligent, smart, go-getter, soft-spoken, hardworking, straightforward, openness, brilliant, handsome and above all a devout Christian.
Sometimes in 2013/14, I contacted you on the need to form an NGO called MPII (www.mpii.org.ng) to address a national menace. You never hesitated and said so far it is coming from you, I do not have any problem. You served in the board with the likes of Mrs. Angela Ajala, Prince Onibokun while the Governor of Kaduna State served as Board the Chairman.
Dr. Nelson on 12th June, 2019, I encouraged you to join our indigenous social-cultural association, Ogbomoso Descendants Development Association (ODDA) and you gladly obliged without any hesitation. Your response, “Ok. As your lordship pleases.”
We spoke for quite some time just few days prior to my wedding. You were so excited at hearing that I was remarrying. You words of advice are still very fresh in my heart.
In spite of very your tight schedule, you created time to stand by us during our darkest moments, visited and encouraged us.
Doc as I used to call you, you had never call me by my name, rather you would call me ASK. You were so humble to a fault and respectful not looking down on anyone. Always smiling. Testimonies from your colleagues affirmed that you were perfectly and completely a gentle man per excellence.
We were so excited and very happy when you got elevated to the position of Secretary General of ECOWAS Commission from Head of ECOWAS Parliaments not knowing you would leave us so soon. Your 53rd birthday supposed to be in April but the cold hand of death snatched you from us.
Dr. Nelson Olalekan Magbagbeola, we love you but God loves you most. We are we to question God? It is our sincere prayer that God Almighty shall bring down His comfort upon your lovely wife and children, relations, colleagues at work, church members, friends and well-wishers.
We shall continually miss you Sir but the part you played would remain positively indelible in our heart.
Good night Egbon Dr. Nelson Olalekan Magbagbeola, the Secretary General of ECOWAS Commission.
You stood as father to my children when all hope was lost, when I wanted to end my life 10 years ago. You took responsibility of my children, their school, feeding, clothing, housing etc.. You are a pillar of hope, my angel, my benefactor. You always make us laugh. You are a wonderful father to your children and other children, a wonderful husband to your wife (mummy Dayo), a strong man, energetic, generous to a fault, Godly, dedicated to God, your work and mankind.. Am saddened, tired, weak by the news of your demise.. I wish I can stop crying but I cant. Rest in peace Doctor Olamilekan Nelson Magbagbeola.
ReplyDeleteYou stood as father to my children when all hope was lost, when I wanted to end my life 10 years ago. You took responsibility of my children, their school, feeding, clothing, housing etc.. You are a pillar of hope, my angel, my benefactor. You always make us laugh. You are a wonderful father to your children and other children, a wonderful husband to your wife (mummy Dayo), a strong man, energetic, generous to a fault, Godly, dedicated to God, your work and mankind.. Am saddened, tired, weak by the news of your demise.. I wish I can stop crying but I cant. Rest in peace Doctor Olamilekan Nelson Magbagbeola.
ReplyDelete