Skip to main content

Oyo Has Lost Its Most Experienced Politician In Alao-Akala - Makinde

 


Oyo State Governor, 'Seyi Makinde, on Thursday, paid a condolence visit to the family of the late former Governor of Oyo State, Chief Adebayo Alao-Akala, saying that the state has lost, "perhaps its most experienced politician" in the former governor.

Governor Makinde, while addressing the widows, family and political associates of the late former governor, at his Opadoyin Lodge residence, Randa area, in Ogbomoso, said that  the visit was to officially condole with the family over the demise of someone he described as leader, brother, mentor and grassroots man.

A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, quoted Governor Makinde as saying that the late Alao-Akala, was a lover of Ogbomoso and Oyo State and that he did his best as governor of the state.

He said: "I am here this afternoon on behalf of the government and people of Oyo State, to condole with the family of our departed leader, brother, mentor, former Governor Adebayo Alao-Akala.

"We cannot question God. I still spoke with him five days ago. I said to somebody that I wanted to ask him to come and flag off the road project between Ogbomoso and Iseyin, and the person said to me that I should not make such move, because he would deal with it politically.

“But I put a call across to him and he surprisingly said to me 'Seyi,  I will be there to  flag it off.'

 He asked me to give him only 48 hours notice, choose the date and I was looking forward to it. "But who are we to question God?

"Sometimes, it is not how long but how well and I will explain it to you. Here, we have my brother, Senator Teslim Folarin. I can also see Hon. Segun Odebunmi (Bunvic) and almost all the political leanings in Oyo State are here. We have lost, perhaps, the most experienced politician this state has ever produced. 

“Chief Alao-Akala was a grassroots man. He rose from a local government chairman to Deputy Governor, and to an Acting Governor and to a State Governor. Who else has the credentials? Nobody in Oyo State.”

The governor called on family members, friends and well-wishers of the former governor to take solace in the fact that he lived a great life and give thanks to God even in their grief.

"In the moment of our grief, we must remember that God  was gracious unto Chief Alao-Akala. So, we still have the opportunity to thank God no matter how much we grief over his death. 

"On my birthday, he sat very close to me. People may think we are not together politically but in terms of love for our state, we are together. He loved this state so much and did his best as the governor of the state. There are others who may not love the state by their actions and decisions.

"He once told me that if we make any mistake, it must be from the head but not from the heart. And I remember I always tell people that, look, I can make a mistake. I was taking a cue from him. So, I want to say the family is not alone in this grief, as we are together. The loss is not only for this family but for the entire Oyo State.

"I pray that God will hold and comfort the family. I want to assure you that we will be involved in all the preparations you will be making concerning the burial. There are a few things that both of us are supposed to do. The ones that are still relevant, I will go ahead and still do them. "We will continue to remember this family in our prayers."

While thanking the governor for the visit, son of the late former governor, Hon. Olamiju Alao-Akala, thanked Governor Makinde for the prompt response and visitation to the family.

"On behalf of the entire family, we want to thank you for your prompt response and visitation to the family. We appreciate your effort and that of the people of the state. Thank you so much.”

The visit had in attendance the Secretary to the State Government, Mrs. Olubamiwo Adeosun; Chief of Staff to the Governor, Hon. Segun Ogunwuyi; Head of Service, Alhaja Amidat Agboola and other top government officials.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alaafin of Oyo: Court strikes out kingmakers suit against Makinde

  An Oyo State High Court sitting in Awe, Afijio Local Government Area of the state, on Thursday, struck out the suit instituted against Governor Seyi Makinde by five kingmakers. Recall that the kingmakers, popularly known as Oyomesi, dragged the governor, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters and the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice to court to stop them from aborting the process for the selection/appointment of the candidate for filling the vacant stool of Alaafin of Oyo by the kingmakers. The claimants in the suit were Basorun of Oyo, High Chief Yusuf Ayoola; Lagunna of Oyo, High Chief Wakeel Oyedepo; Akinniku of Oyo, High Chief Amuda Yusuf; Areago Basorun of Oyo, High Chief Waheed Oyetunji and Alapo of Oyo, who is also Warrant Officer for Alaapini of Oyo, Chief Gbadebo Mufutau. The plaintiffs were absent during Thursday’s hearing. While ruling on the suit, Justice Ladiran Akintola, struck it out following its withdrawal by counsel to the cla...

NECO releases 2022 SSCE external results

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has released the results of the November/December 2022 Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE). Dantani Ibrahim Wushishi, the registrar of NECO, broke the news on Thursday in Minna, the capital of Niger state. The 2022 SSCE for external candidates was held from November 21 to December 21. The NECO registrar said a total of 59,124 candidates sat for the examination, with 31,316 males, representing 52.96 per cent, while 27,808, representing 47.03 per cent, were female. He said 58,012 candidates sat for the English Language with 44,162, representing 76.13 per cent, getting credit and above. According to Wushishi, the number of candidates who wrote Mathematics is 57,700, out of which 43,096, representing 74.69 per cent, got credit and above. He also disclosed that 46,825 candidates, representing 79.20%, got five credits and above — irrespective of English Language and Mathematics. The NECO registrar revealed that 11,419 candidates were sanction...

How Ogbori Elemosho gave me MFR Status - Lere Paimo

  Ogbomoso born,Veteran Nollywood actor,  Chief Lere Paimo MFR has explained that his historical movie 'Ogbori Elemosho gave him a lot of recongition and earned him the MFR status with the likes of Dangote and Mike Adenuga. Chief Paimo stated this during a recent interview with The Nation while reacting to questions on some people's believe that historical movies don’t generate much money. "That is a big lie, my movie, Ogbori Elemosho gave me a lot including my MFR status with the likes of Dangote, Mike Adenuga in Abuja some years back. Just three days ago, the Chartered Institute of Commerce conferred me with a doctorate degree, I am now Chief Dr Lere Paimo. All these are results of my works. I built a house from acting, bought cars and sent my children to school so tell me what more we want in life. Chief Paimo also stressed why its wrong for Nollywood stars to bleach their skin. According to Eda Onile Ola as popularly called “There is no amount of advice we would give t...