Skip to main content

I Was Shocked When My Name Was Missing on Ministerial List ― Shittu


Mr Adebayo Shittu, the immediate-past Minister of Communication, said that he was shocked when his name was not included on President Muhammadu Buhari’s ministerial list.

Shittu, who made the disclosure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja, said although he did not expect that he would not be reappointed, as a Muslim, he took it as his fate.

The ex-minister said: “I took it the way it came.”
NAN reports that Senate President, Dr. Ahmad Lawan, had, on July 23, read out the names of 43 ministerial nominees sent by President Buhari to the lawmakers for confirmation at the upper house.

While the list contained 14 former ministers, 29 new names and seven females, 18 ex-ministers did not make the list, including Mr Shittu.

“Of course, I expected that I will be reappointed (as minister) but when it didn’t happen, as a Muslim, it didn’t take me five minutes before I accepted that what has come, it’s the will of God.

“And I have also found comfort in a Quranic verse when God promised that what is to come later is better than what is with you now.

“So for me, it says we must accept that there is always something better with God which he gives to his beloved.
“I see myself as a beloved of God.
“And it is not how long one stays in public office but how well you are able to distinguished yourself,” he said.

The ex-minister, who is a legal practitioner, said he had decided to fallback to his profession.
“I want to thank God that I am one politician who has a second address in the sense that, if I am not a minister, I will be doing some other productive things which will also contribute to national development.
“Of course, I would have wished that I have other opportunities to serve. I believe the chapter of my public service is not closed.
“By the grace of God, I will continue to be relevant in national development.

“As a lawyer of about 40 years, I now have my chambers opened in Abuja. So now, I am back in practice,” he said.

Shittu, who thanked God for the opportunity to serve as minister, also thanked the president for the appointment.

“I have been a local politicians for almost 40 years before the opportunity to serve at the national level.
“I really appreciate it and I want to say that I am eternally grateful to Mr President.
“So for me to have been in office for three and half years, I think it is a rear privilege for which I will continue to thank God and to continue to thank Mr President,” he said.

NAN reports that Mr Shittu was the youngest lawmaker at the age of 26 to be elected a member of the Oyo State House of Assembly in 1979.

The former minister, who skipped the mandatory National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), had aspired for the governorship seat of Oyo State in the last election but was disqualified by his party, the All Progressives Congress

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alaafin of Oyo: Court strikes out kingmakers suit against Makinde

  An Oyo State High Court sitting in Awe, Afijio Local Government Area of the state, on Thursday, struck out the suit instituted against Governor Seyi Makinde by five kingmakers. Recall that the kingmakers, popularly known as Oyomesi, dragged the governor, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters and the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice to court to stop them from aborting the process for the selection/appointment of the candidate for filling the vacant stool of Alaafin of Oyo by the kingmakers. The claimants in the suit were Basorun of Oyo, High Chief Yusuf Ayoola; Lagunna of Oyo, High Chief Wakeel Oyedepo; Akinniku of Oyo, High Chief Amuda Yusuf; Areago Basorun of Oyo, High Chief Waheed Oyetunji and Alapo of Oyo, who is also Warrant Officer for Alaapini of Oyo, Chief Gbadebo Mufutau. The plaintiffs were absent during Thursday’s hearing. While ruling on the suit, Justice Ladiran Akintola, struck it out following its withdrawal by counsel to the cla...

NECO releases 2022 SSCE external results

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has released the results of the November/December 2022 Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE). Dantani Ibrahim Wushishi, the registrar of NECO, broke the news on Thursday in Minna, the capital of Niger state. The 2022 SSCE for external candidates was held from November 21 to December 21. The NECO registrar said a total of 59,124 candidates sat for the examination, with 31,316 males, representing 52.96 per cent, while 27,808, representing 47.03 per cent, were female. He said 58,012 candidates sat for the English Language with 44,162, representing 76.13 per cent, getting credit and above. According to Wushishi, the number of candidates who wrote Mathematics is 57,700, out of which 43,096, representing 74.69 per cent, got credit and above. He also disclosed that 46,825 candidates, representing 79.20%, got five credits and above — irrespective of English Language and Mathematics. The NECO registrar revealed that 11,419 candidates were sanction...

How Ogbori Elemosho gave me MFR Status - Lere Paimo

  Ogbomoso born,Veteran Nollywood actor,  Chief Lere Paimo MFR has explained that his historical movie 'Ogbori Elemosho gave him a lot of recongition and earned him the MFR status with the likes of Dangote and Mike Adenuga. Chief Paimo stated this during a recent interview with The Nation while reacting to questions on some people's believe that historical movies don’t generate much money. "That is a big lie, my movie, Ogbori Elemosho gave me a lot including my MFR status with the likes of Dangote, Mike Adenuga in Abuja some years back. Just three days ago, the Chartered Institute of Commerce conferred me with a doctorate degree, I am now Chief Dr Lere Paimo. All these are results of my works. I built a house from acting, bought cars and sent my children to school so tell me what more we want in life. Chief Paimo also stressed why its wrong for Nollywood stars to bleach their skin. According to Eda Onile Ola as popularly called “There is no amount of advice we would give t...