Skip to main content

On LAUTECH, We Have Done Our Best - Makinde

 



Oyo State Governor, 'Seyi Makinde, on Sunday, said that his administration will continue to balance political appointments between Christians and Muslims in the state.

The governor, who stated this at the 1443/2021 Hijrah Luncheon held at the Government House, Agodi, Ibadan, added that Muslims and the people of Oyo State know that his administration is doing the right things.

He said: "I want to use the opportunity of today's event to address the issues some people brought up. Every time I go through social media and read what people are saying, those who know how we did campaign in 2019 will admit that we did not abuse anyone.

"As a matter of fact, the people of Oyo State know we are doing the right thing. We released the Roadmap for Accelerated Development of Oyo State (2019-2023) document and told the people to hold us accountable by the document. I am saying today again, go and look at the document. All the things we are doing now have been documented and we are just following the roadmap."

The governor explained his displeasure with the rumour being circulated by certain persons that he delayed the approval of the documents of some Muslims that were supposed to be judges in the state, noting that such rumours amount to fallacy and are baseless. 

"One of the things they said, which got me depressed, is about the appointment of judges. They said Seyi Makinde does not like Muslims and that was why he delayed the approval of the documents of Muslims that were supposed to be judges. 

"When we got into government, I deployed the Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Justice to Education, but I will not say the reason I made such decision because the person is no longer with us again and won't be able to defend himself. But the Chief Judge came to me and said I would have ended the career of the PS if  I moved him to another Ministry. And that this person is who he think can become a judge. But I assured him that I was going to return him and I did.

"So, if I don't want him to become a judge, I would not have taken such a step. What the Holy Bible teaches us is that it is only God that can tell when we will pass to the world beyond. This is why I laugh when some people come out and say that, in 2023, they want to become this and that, instead of requesting for long life and good health from God.

"I will continue to balance appointments between the Christians and Muslim faithful. I have reappointed seven commissioners and, for the remaining 10 commissioners, you can rest, assured that it will be a balanced appointment. I challenge anyone here today to go to our neighboring states. If you see anything better than what we are doing in Oyo State, let me know and I will ensure I adjust.

"On LAUTECH, we have done our best. In the past, the issue remained unsettled. But when we got there, I, as a Christian Christian from PDP, and Governor Oyetola, who is a Muslim from another party, we were able to work together and resolve the issue within a year plus. If all of us accept the fact that we want to seek solution to our challenges, we will do the needful."

The governor reiterated his administration's determination to re-double its efforts to ensure progress and development in the state.

He said: "Challenges are normal situations but we have to double our efforts to see a semblance of progress and wherever Seyi Makinde stops, those coming behind will take it from there.

According to the governor, human beings must always factor God into whatever they do, irrespective of the religion they practice.

"Some elements don't want us to succeed, no doubt. I saw the pictures of the waterlogged pitch they were circulating but when our people shunned them, the opposition elements went to pick some pictures from another location and made it looked like it is from our Adamasingba Stadium. But what do they want to gain from speaking untruth?

"When the issue of Hijra happened before the pandemic, I had to call on some people to see how it would not affect our productivity because I think we have many holidays already. But much later when they came up with convincing arguments that if we declare a day to celebrate Hijrah, it won't affect our economy, I approved it. Not only did I approve it, I also said we should look for a special day to celebrate where we can wine and dine," he said.

Speaking about the 2023 re-election bid, the governor hinted to people that his prayer is that God should allow His will to prevail on it.

"Finally, those who are going about to campaign for re-election with the insignia of 4 + 4, please let us go back to God. I did not tell the people in 2019 that I must be a governor at all cost. The prayer I prayed to God was to allow His will prevail. So, I am saying it again that I want the will of God to prevail in my political adventure," he stated.

Earlier, in His sermon, Prof. Daud Noibi, said that 1443/2021 Hijrah celebration was first of its kind, saying it was a day of joy to all Muslims in the state.

He said: "We want to appreciate you for what you have done by making this event possible. This luncheon is first of its kind and we really commend you for that as well. 

"No doubt, today is a day of joy for us and we see this celebration as a great privilege given to us by His Excellency, Governor Makinde, which really shows that today is better than yesterday. And I believe that tomorrow shall be better than today. So, let us allow the consideration of this day to guide our daily affair. 

"Our governor has started well and we pray he ends well. I can authoritatively say that the Muslims are not against you. Also, members of the Muslim community in Oyo State are for you. Whatever it takes to support you and your government, as long as we are still alive, we will play the role."

In his remark, the Chairman of the Occasion, Aare Muslumi of Yorubaland, Edo and Delta states, Alhaji Daud Akinola, said the day's luncheon was a unique one for the Muslim Community in the state.

Aare, who was represented by Sheik Najimudeen  

Alkubroh said it was an occasion that has made the governor win the hearts of all Muslims in the state.

In their various remarks, Senator Monsurat Sunmonu and some other notable personalities that graced the occasion described Governor Mankinde as an exceptional leader who shows love to his people irrespective of their religious affiliations.

Governor Makinde later presented gift items to representatives of selected mosques in the state.

The event had in attendance the Deputy Governor, Engr Rauf Olaniyan; his wife, Professor Amdalat Olaniyan; Speaker, Oyo State House of Assembly, Hon. 'Debo Ogundoyin; Chief of Staff, Hon, Segun Ogunwuyi;  Deputy Chief of Staff, Hon. Majeed Mogbonjubola; Chief Imams, Senator Monsurat Sunmonu, Alfas, Islamic Clerics and a host of others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alaafin of Oyo: Court strikes out kingmakers suit against Makinde

  An Oyo State High Court sitting in Awe, Afijio Local Government Area of the state, on Thursday, struck out the suit instituted against Governor Seyi Makinde by five kingmakers. Recall that the kingmakers, popularly known as Oyomesi, dragged the governor, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters and the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice to court to stop them from aborting the process for the selection/appointment of the candidate for filling the vacant stool of Alaafin of Oyo by the kingmakers. The claimants in the suit were Basorun of Oyo, High Chief Yusuf Ayoola; Lagunna of Oyo, High Chief Wakeel Oyedepo; Akinniku of Oyo, High Chief Amuda Yusuf; Areago Basorun of Oyo, High Chief Waheed Oyetunji and Alapo of Oyo, who is also Warrant Officer for Alaapini of Oyo, Chief Gbadebo Mufutau. The plaintiffs were absent during Thursday’s hearing. While ruling on the suit, Justice Ladiran Akintola, struck it out following its withdrawal by counsel to the cla...

NECO releases 2022 SSCE external results

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has released the results of the November/December 2022 Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE). Dantani Ibrahim Wushishi, the registrar of NECO, broke the news on Thursday in Minna, the capital of Niger state. The 2022 SSCE for external candidates was held from November 21 to December 21. The NECO registrar said a total of 59,124 candidates sat for the examination, with 31,316 males, representing 52.96 per cent, while 27,808, representing 47.03 per cent, were female. He said 58,012 candidates sat for the English Language with 44,162, representing 76.13 per cent, getting credit and above. According to Wushishi, the number of candidates who wrote Mathematics is 57,700, out of which 43,096, representing 74.69 per cent, got credit and above. He also disclosed that 46,825 candidates, representing 79.20%, got five credits and above — irrespective of English Language and Mathematics. The NECO registrar revealed that 11,419 candidates were sanction...

How Ogbori Elemosho gave me MFR Status - Lere Paimo

  Ogbomoso born,Veteran Nollywood actor,  Chief Lere Paimo MFR has explained that his historical movie 'Ogbori Elemosho gave him a lot of recongition and earned him the MFR status with the likes of Dangote and Mike Adenuga. Chief Paimo stated this during a recent interview with The Nation while reacting to questions on some people's believe that historical movies don’t generate much money. "That is a big lie, my movie, Ogbori Elemosho gave me a lot including my MFR status with the likes of Dangote, Mike Adenuga in Abuja some years back. Just three days ago, the Chartered Institute of Commerce conferred me with a doctorate degree, I am now Chief Dr Lere Paimo. All these are results of my works. I built a house from acting, bought cars and sent my children to school so tell me what more we want in life. Chief Paimo also stressed why its wrong for Nollywood stars to bleach their skin. According to Eda Onile Ola as popularly called “There is no amount of advice we would give t...