Skip to main content

I was paid 60 kobo for my first acting role - Wale ‘Okunnu’ Akorede |OGBOMOSO INFO|




Wale Akorede, a Yoruba comic-actor better as Okunnu, is humorous, quick-witted and has an infectious personality both on and off the screen.
Okunnu, a popular face in Yoruba movies, is regarded to as one of the busiest actors in the sub-sector of Nollywood.
Despite being active for many years, Okunnu keeps waxing stronger, jumping from set to set. 
In this interview, he speaks with  MUTIAT LAWORE, about his early days as an actor, his career.




You are known for taking up comedic roles; don’t you feel stereotyped?
Let me correct the impression that I am a stereotyped actor. There is no role I cannot play in real sense but I have come to realise that people appreciate me more when I play funny roles than other roles. Just like the medical field with different departments, the same is applicable to actors as some of us are good in interpreting a particular role better than the other. There is no role that I have not played in a movie. I have played a clergy, lawyer, village man and all that but as an actor I am still patiently waiting for a script that will challenge me more.
Are there situations where people don’t take you seriously because of the roles you have played?
Honestly, when I am playing a serious role, the audience still finds it funny because that is what has been registered in their consciousness about me. In real life, even when I am dead serious about a particular issue, people don’t take me serious some times because I have been tagged a comedian and at the end, I just flow with them.
There was a point when you relocated to Saudi Arabia. Why did you come back to Nigeria?
Ah! It’s not my country. Yes, there was a point my life when I relocated to Saudi Arabia but after giving it a second thought, I realised there is no place like home. Nigeria is my country and no matter the challenge, we just have to sink it through; I don’t regret coming (back) to my country.



Have you ever acted in any English movie before?
Yes I have featured in countless English movies; even my Igbo people have invited me so many times and I have been there to contribute my quota. Like I said earlier, I an actor, so I should be able to fit into any movie irrespective of the language.
What kind of childhood did you have?
Growing up was a little bit terrible for me because when I was young, I was very stubborn and hardhearted because I had a passion for acting and my parents were never in support of it. I started acting partially immediately after the death of my father in 1982. I became more stubborn and my mother had no choice than to give in to what I love doing.
Like some of your colleagues, did you run away from the house?
Yes, I did several times and whenever I came back home, my mother would beat me mercilessly and so when I realised that the only thing she does was to beat me, I would run out of the house for days and when I return, I’d be prepared for beating because it was more or less like a routine for me.
At what point did your mother give her support?
The moment she started seeing me on screen, then she realised that I was actually born to do this and she commended my effort that if she had known that I will be this good at this, she would have supported me long ago.
What was your first paying gig?
If I can remember vividly, the first time I got paid on the job was in 1984 when I did a stage performance in Ibadan and after the show I was paid 60 kobo. I ran mad… that wow, so I can receive such a huge amount and ever since, good pay has come in because I don’t charge small for movie productions.
Your religion allows you to have several wives, why did you decide to stick to one?
Well that is my own policy. I may be with one wife today and tomorrow you hear I am with 10 wives; it’s a matter of choice.
Were you acting before you got married?
Not at all. I was a proper businessman that was just doing acting by the side. I had to leave the business aspect of me because it was more like a playing ground for me while the acting was my path and I don’t for once regret ever being a member of the creative industry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alaafin of Oyo: Court strikes out kingmakers suit against Makinde

  An Oyo State High Court sitting in Awe, Afijio Local Government Area of the state, on Thursday, struck out the suit instituted against Governor Seyi Makinde by five kingmakers. Recall that the kingmakers, popularly known as Oyomesi, dragged the governor, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters and the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice to court to stop them from aborting the process for the selection/appointment of the candidate for filling the vacant stool of Alaafin of Oyo by the kingmakers. The claimants in the suit were Basorun of Oyo, High Chief Yusuf Ayoola; Lagunna of Oyo, High Chief Wakeel Oyedepo; Akinniku of Oyo, High Chief Amuda Yusuf; Areago Basorun of Oyo, High Chief Waheed Oyetunji and Alapo of Oyo, who is also Warrant Officer for Alaapini of Oyo, Chief Gbadebo Mufutau. The plaintiffs were absent during Thursday’s hearing. While ruling on the suit, Justice Ladiran Akintola, struck it out following its withdrawal by counsel to the cla...

NECO releases 2022 SSCE external results

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has released the results of the November/December 2022 Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE). Dantani Ibrahim Wushishi, the registrar of NECO, broke the news on Thursday in Minna, the capital of Niger state. The 2022 SSCE for external candidates was held from November 21 to December 21. The NECO registrar said a total of 59,124 candidates sat for the examination, with 31,316 males, representing 52.96 per cent, while 27,808, representing 47.03 per cent, were female. He said 58,012 candidates sat for the English Language with 44,162, representing 76.13 per cent, getting credit and above. According to Wushishi, the number of candidates who wrote Mathematics is 57,700, out of which 43,096, representing 74.69 per cent, got credit and above. He also disclosed that 46,825 candidates, representing 79.20%, got five credits and above — irrespective of English Language and Mathematics. The NECO registrar revealed that 11,419 candidates were sanction...

How Ogbori Elemosho gave me MFR Status - Lere Paimo

  Ogbomoso born,Veteran Nollywood actor,  Chief Lere Paimo MFR has explained that his historical movie 'Ogbori Elemosho gave him a lot of recongition and earned him the MFR status with the likes of Dangote and Mike Adenuga. Chief Paimo stated this during a recent interview with The Nation while reacting to questions on some people's believe that historical movies don’t generate much money. "That is a big lie, my movie, Ogbori Elemosho gave me a lot including my MFR status with the likes of Dangote, Mike Adenuga in Abuja some years back. Just three days ago, the Chartered Institute of Commerce conferred me with a doctorate degree, I am now Chief Dr Lere Paimo. All these are results of my works. I built a house from acting, bought cars and sent my children to school so tell me what more we want in life. Chief Paimo also stressed why its wrong for Nollywood stars to bleach their skin. According to Eda Onile Ola as popularly called “There is no amount of advice we would give t...