Skip to main content

The Secrets Of My Success - Seyi Makinde



By Taiwo Adisa

That the Governor of Oyo State, Engineer Seyi Makinde hit the ground running in Oyo state following his swearing-in on May 29, 2019 is no longer news. It has indeed become a global knowledge that the GSM as he is fondly called has become a reference point for governance not just in the South West but across Nigeria.

What can he attribute to  that phenomenal rise in political pedigree just a few months after getting the mantle of leadership is the question that would not keep agitating the minds of millions of Nigerians who have been watching the new kid on the bloc with keen interests, admiration and some with envy.

To Governor Seyi Makinde, the answer is not far-fetched. He bares it all in his upcoming autobiography, which comes with the title: “Seyi Makinde: Thinking it out.”


According to Engineer Makinde, a key aspect of his success is his adventurous life, which he says is built on a cause.

He tells it thus: “My life is an adventure, and I continuously look forward to the next phase.

“My life is a long-distance race. I run, mostly no for fame or fortune but for a cause. I know this concept might be alien to a lot of people. In my over five decades on earth, I have met many people whose only goal in life is to become wealthy and famous. I have also seen how unhappy some of them have turned out to be.”

“I am a marathoner, physically and metaphorically. With every sense of modesty, I admit that many consider me a traiIbIazer who is inspiring a new generation of Oyo people to aspire to a life beyond their present realities.


“People often ask me what drives my personal, professional and political passions. What keeps me running? I hope I have shown over time that my ultimate goal is to serve humanity with all the resources God has endowed me. Service to humanity is the number one driving force in my life. I firmly believe in the adage which saysthat when a man sends a gift to the market, the market will reward him with a gift in return.”

 The Governor further declares that his believe in generosity and philanthropy derive from innate attributes that ensure he sees life as an avenue to help others live.

He stated:  “My life values of philanthropy and generosity are evident to everyone. I have always been a great ambassador of myseIf, my family and my Oyo State. There is the likelihood that I will be spoken of glowingly even by my political opponents, a testament to my character and Values.

“I know the reputation that politicians have earned in Nigeria. I make bold to say that I am not your typical Nigerian politician. My political career has not been (and I promise that I will not be) tainted by thuggery or financial malfeasance. I come with my vaIues.




“Philosophers have long postulated about life and what gives life meaning. For me, the joy of living, what gives my life direction and drives my passions, is not accumulating material wealth but the giving to the people that I Love and care about, the experiences that having wealth often facilitates.”

 In apparent faithfulness to the  to the submissions above, Governor Makinde hit the ground running in Oyo state from May 29 and the unprecedented great performances are daily recommending him as a man who personalises business unusual.

He has launched the four key pillars of his administration including Education, Health, Economy, and Security, hitting peak achievements on all fronts. From basic welfare of the workers and pensioners; to cancellation of N3, 000 education levy and the fees for entrance forms into Junior secondary and Technical colleges; to payment of gratuities to retirees from 2010; approval of car and housing loans for workers; payment of workers salaries not exceeding the 25th of every month and foundational flag-off of landmark projects at the Health and Education fronts.

Speaking about his commitment to Oy state Engineer Makinde said: “My vision of the future of Oyo State starts and ends with people. We will have a state that provides the right services through the right channels and at the right time.

“We will make the effort to identify succinctly the needs and wants of our people and employ evidence to deliver better outcomes. As some experts claim, if states responding to citizens’ needs was the old standard, our new operational philosophy will be to anticipate.

“Our future in Oyo State is now. We will have a government that is accountable, transparent, productive, effective and efficient. We will move from “sick care” to the wellness of our people- through acute forces on education, health and economic posterity-so we can achieve live changing outcomes.”

Taiwo Adisa is the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Makinde

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alaafin of Oyo: Court strikes out kingmakers suit against Makinde

  An Oyo State High Court sitting in Awe, Afijio Local Government Area of the state, on Thursday, struck out the suit instituted against Governor Seyi Makinde by five kingmakers. Recall that the kingmakers, popularly known as Oyomesi, dragged the governor, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters and the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice to court to stop them from aborting the process for the selection/appointment of the candidate for filling the vacant stool of Alaafin of Oyo by the kingmakers. The claimants in the suit were Basorun of Oyo, High Chief Yusuf Ayoola; Lagunna of Oyo, High Chief Wakeel Oyedepo; Akinniku of Oyo, High Chief Amuda Yusuf; Areago Basorun of Oyo, High Chief Waheed Oyetunji and Alapo of Oyo, who is also Warrant Officer for Alaapini of Oyo, Chief Gbadebo Mufutau. The plaintiffs were absent during Thursday’s hearing. While ruling on the suit, Justice Ladiran Akintola, struck it out following its withdrawal by counsel to the cla...

NECO releases 2022 SSCE external results

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has released the results of the November/December 2022 Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE). Dantani Ibrahim Wushishi, the registrar of NECO, broke the news on Thursday in Minna, the capital of Niger state. The 2022 SSCE for external candidates was held from November 21 to December 21. The NECO registrar said a total of 59,124 candidates sat for the examination, with 31,316 males, representing 52.96 per cent, while 27,808, representing 47.03 per cent, were female. He said 58,012 candidates sat for the English Language with 44,162, representing 76.13 per cent, getting credit and above. According to Wushishi, the number of candidates who wrote Mathematics is 57,700, out of which 43,096, representing 74.69 per cent, got credit and above. He also disclosed that 46,825 candidates, representing 79.20%, got five credits and above — irrespective of English Language and Mathematics. The NECO registrar revealed that 11,419 candidates were sanction...

How Ogbori Elemosho gave me MFR Status - Lere Paimo

  Ogbomoso born,Veteran Nollywood actor,  Chief Lere Paimo MFR has explained that his historical movie 'Ogbori Elemosho gave him a lot of recongition and earned him the MFR status with the likes of Dangote and Mike Adenuga. Chief Paimo stated this during a recent interview with The Nation while reacting to questions on some people's believe that historical movies don’t generate much money. "That is a big lie, my movie, Ogbori Elemosho gave me a lot including my MFR status with the likes of Dangote, Mike Adenuga in Abuja some years back. Just three days ago, the Chartered Institute of Commerce conferred me with a doctorate degree, I am now Chief Dr Lere Paimo. All these are results of my works. I built a house from acting, bought cars and sent my children to school so tell me what more we want in life. Chief Paimo also stressed why its wrong for Nollywood stars to bleach their skin. According to Eda Onile Ola as popularly called “There is no amount of advice we would give t...